Follow The River
Hiking, biking and climbing will certainly sate the appetites of those content to explore on dry land. But for those looking to get their feet wet, Transylvania County’s many rivers, streams, lakes and waterways can cast you off into a whole other avenue of adventure. A bathing suit, a p.f.d. and an inflatable inner tube may be all you need to get a trout’s perspective on Transylvania County.
Consider, for example, the French Broad River, whose headwaters begin just outside of Rosman. This ancient tributary, 3rd oldest in the world, flows across an unspoiled natural landscape, allowing paddlers of every skill level to follow the river as far as the current and their paddles will take them. For those looking for a rockier ride, Transylvania’s tributary rivers offer thrilling rides during high water.
The Adventurist’s Insider Tips make it easy for would-be paddlers to get into the flow.
Splash down at any of these outfitters and boat rental providers for help getting onto the water:
- Headwaters Outfitters 828.877.3106
- Oxbow River Snorkeling 270.339.0519
- Pura Vida Adventures 772.579.0005
- Davidson River Rafting 828.453.0522
- Dancing Trees Yoga and SUP Fitness 828.707.0066
- East Fork Farm Adventures
- White Squirrel Paddle Boards 828.553.7329
- WNC Adventure Tours 828.553.7529